Cheat the Ferryman
Ft. Fischer to Bald Head Island
The ride you thought could not be done. The ride is for fat tire bikes or tenacious mountain bike riders. In any case, be ready to push your bike through some stretches. The sand is variable from one day to the next. From Ft. Fischer rec area bathrooms, take the boardwalk to the beach, and ride 9 miles south, to the paved streets of Bald Head Island. (Yes, they don’t want you to know it’s the same island as Carolina Beach, check it out on Google Earth) Then a 16 mile loop on the pavement of Bald Head Island to the rest stop at the local market, the lighthouse & marina, and back to the sand. Shorter route is an out an back and skip the tour of Bald Head Island. Plan on a 4+ hour adventure. FYI: The ride date was picked to maximize the amount of beach available at low tide. This is an out and back ride.
Ride Instructions & Rules:
- This ride is conducted under the Cape Fear Cyclists COVID ride rules, please review prior to the ride and follow them
- Please sign the new CFC liability waiver and bring it to the ride.
- If you need a ride map, please print out the ride map and bring it to the ride.
- Please arrive to the ride start location at least 15 minutes prior to the ride start time.
- Please visit www.capefearcyclists.org and review CFC ride policies.
- If the temperature at start time is below 32 degrees or there is steady rain, the ride will be canceled.
- We currently use the SLACK app to provide up-to-the-minute ride changes and weather info. CLICK HERE to get started. https://capefearcyclists.slack.com
- Monitor the CFC Slack channel “Saturday-am-ride-schedule” before the ride for last minute ride information or cancelation.
Parking is available at the Ft. Fisher Recreational parking area.
Normal ride pace speeds don’t apply on the sand. Expect an energetic “B” pace on a fat tire bike, more energy is required on a mountain bike. Expect 10 mph or so downwind and 7 mph or so upwind and slower if the wind is especially strong. The ride leader will regroup riders at various locations along the route. No one will be left behind.
Ride Maps are now on the Clubs Ride with GPS page located here: Ride with GPS Maps
First time riders are welcome. If you enjoy the experience, pick up a membership from at your local bike shop or visit www.capefearcyclists.org for instructions on joining the club. Membership not only supports the club and cycling advocacy, it extends insurance coverage to you on club rides.